2023 is Your Year to be Positive, Open Minded and Grateful
A new year is a time for resolutions, and as you consider how to make the most of 2023, we encourage you to pursue the power of positive thinking. Not only are positivity, open-mindedness and gratitude good for the world—they are also great for every dimension of wellness.
4 Tips to Enjoy the Power of Positive Thinking
Positive thinking means maintaining an optimistic attitude. As Archimedes once said, “Give me a lever and I shall move the world!”
While some people are naturally buoyant and “accentuate the positive,” as the old song says, some of us need a little encouragement. If you need some inspiration for seeing the glass half-full, here are four tips for harnessing the power of positive thinking:
1) Build your resilience: This can be done by dealing with problems and troubleshooting rather than ignoring them, finding support in strong relationships with your family and being open to accepting that change is a part of life.
2) Change your perspective: What may actually appear to be the worse situation or outcome at first can sometimes become easier to bear if you look at it from a different perspective. Ask yourself questions such as what am I still grateful for in this moment? or What can I learn from this?
3) Smile more often: Research has shown that smiling is associated with reduced heart rate and blood pressure, especially during stressful situations. Stick positive affirmations around the house, display more pictures of your happiest moment and do more of what you love. You can definitely find a number of reasons to smile each day.
4) Pay attention to your self-talk: This includes your inner voice, thoughts and how you talk to yourself. The more uplifting your self-talk is, the happier and less stressed you will be and vice versa. Aim to practice positive self-talk even in the smallest details.
Don’t Forget the Health Benefits of Positivity
The Mayo Clinic is the gold standard of organizations centered around health and wellness, and their team has noted that positive thinking is about more than maintaining a cheery attitude. In fact, as Mayo Clinic research shows, positivity offers a wealth of wellness benefits, including:
- Increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- Lower levels of distress and pain
- Greater resistance to illnesses
- Better psychological and physical well-being
- Better cardiovascular health and reduced risk of death from cardiovascular disease and stroke
- Reduced risk of death from cancer
- Reduced risk of death from respiratory conditions
- Reduced risk of death from infections
- Better coping skills during hardships and times of stress
Fostering Positivity at The Village at Woods Edge
Here at The Village, we work hard every day to make sure our residents have what they need to live out retirement to the fullest. When it comes to positivity and wellness, one successful initiative is our Powerback Therapy team, which started as a way to combat the negativity that arose during the pandemic slump.
It’s no secret that 2020-2021 will go down in history as downer years, giving a major blow to mental and physical wellness at all ages. But our team is here today to make 2023 the most positive year yet. Guided by the theme, “Powering Back with Positivity,” the Powerback Therapy team is currently facilitating a weekly group session with all residents so feel free to join. The group has enjoyed uplifting practices such as journaling, positive affirmations and meditation as well as connected residents with volunteer opportunities.
Beyond this innovative group, wellness offerings at The Village abound, ranging from exercise classes to bible study groups to lifelong learning classes and much more. Check out our monthly calendar so you never miss out!
Enjoy a Tour of Our Campus
If you’re in search of the ideal place to spend retirement in Virginia, look no further than The Village at Woods Edge. To learn more about our wellness offerings and a great retirement in Franklin, Virginia, join our welcoming community and let 2023 be filled with new and amazing experiences. Contact us to schedule a tour of our campus.